Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The 10 Commandments and life.

I am sitting in my office, the rain is pouring down outside my windows. I am sleepy. I always get sleepy this time of day. I think it is because I don't exercise and my body is out of shape. Or, it could all the junk I eat. Anyways, the rain, combined with Amos Lee's serenades flowing from my stereo, are making me drowsy. I will snap out of it.

I have been waist deep in the 10 Commandments today. In our Wednesday night bible studies, called Solomon's Porch, we are going through a class called "Introduction to the Old Testament"(unfortunately named by the way; it should be called the Hebrew Bible). I love teaching. I get a rush from it. It definitely fits within my gifting.

I stop now not to talk about the historical or theological makeup of the 10 commandments, but of our recent public debate over their place in the public courthouses of our country. I am not your normal conservative evangelical; I am not up in arms about the statues of these commandments not being allowed to be in the courthouses. What good does a statue do? I have no problem with it being taken out, and as a matter of fact, I think it might be a good thing.

I know, I know, you think I am crazy. Here I am a pastor, and I am saying that the 10 commandments shouldn't be in the courthouse. Well, let me explain. First, I think we are getting the cart before the horse. We as Christians have fought tooth and nail to keep these granite morality stones in place, when if we would be half as passionate about living out the divine morality shown within the 10C we would not be worried about whether the statues were in the courthouses and public places. I ask you, what is more transformative? A statue in a public place for all to see and read the 10C, or, a group of people dedicated to living out the purpose of the 10C and its author in the world?

Also, why do we expect to hold those that don't know Jesus to the 10C ? In placing the statues in these public places, we are in a sense stating that this is what we as a country are all about. Is this true? Of course not. Commandment no. 1 "Do not worship any other gods besides me". This nation was built on the freedom of religion, meaning that no one can be persecuted for their religious observances. This is the reason for the separation of church and state, (which I am in favor of by the way), to protect religious freedom. A climate of religious freedom is what makes this country special, and we need it. For if one religion, including Christianity, were in power, our government would be corrupt, intolerant, and cruel to others. Don't believe me? Check into history. Every time the church had a major role in governing or government, we had such events as "the crusades", or "the Spanish inquisition". We need to allow people to freely choose God. That is what he did, he gave us free will, and the context of freedom to freely choose him, or not. Without that, there is no love. We should not be worried about legislating worship of God, but truly worshipping God with our lives and pointing others to him, and they will freely choose him.

I am pro 10C. However, if we were more focused on living these out in this country we would have a larger impact.

I know this is going to be controversial, but at least I am not sleepy anymore.

3 comments:

Bryan said...

Dang, I couldn't have said that better myself. Lots of good thoughts! Thanks for putting them out there.

Unknown said...

Thanks Bryan.
Just thinking with my keyboard. That is what I love about blogging. Appreciate the encouragment.

Unknown said...

Hey Sis,
First, Let me apologize for not contacting you more. I am glad to hear from you.
Thanks for your kinds words. I think we as the "church" get tied into our "Cultural" readings of the bible, and God wants the word to dive deeper into us, past our cultural ties, and help us see what it means to follow Jesus of Nazareth. I am endeavoring to allow him to help me in this. I still have a long way to go.
-Ben.