Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Sacrifice of following a Jewish Rabbi

I am still getting in the swing of posting thoughts, so be patient.

It is 10:22 am, Sunday morning, and I am in my office waiting for the clock to tell me it is time to go meet with my faith community, worship, and preach the word God has given me. This morning the text comes from Matthew 10, and it is all about sacrifice as a follower of Jesus.

I don't think we Americans like the word sacrifice. Everything we do is to limit sacrifice. We are a consuming culture, addicted to consuming pleasure, comfort, and enjoyment. I believe this tendency did not stop at the front doors of the church either. This lack of sacrificial thinking is prevelant in our version of following Jesus. There is no wonder the "Health and WEalth" gospel sprung from our culture. We like to be full, fat, financed, and free. Sacrifice endangers this. So we must twist the gospel from one that calls us to follow in the footsteps of the suffering servant, to "God desires for you to be rich and healthy".

These verses in Matthew 10:22-25a fly in the face of this.
22All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.
23 When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. I tell you the truth, you will not finish going through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
24 "A student is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master.
25 It is enough for the student to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master.
What do we do with these verses? Were they meant for people other than us. Tell me what you think.

No comments: