Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Catechism and Church Membership in the Emerging Paradigm

I am presently beginning to prepare for a junior high catechism class beginning in September. Catechism will be something new to this faith community. As a matter of fact, there has been no formal endorsement of any formal catechism in our denomination until recently. I know, I know, this sounds like we are lite on discipleship...well, to my dismay, we have been. There is no excuse for it really. I believe it comes from a misunderstanding of what it means to be a Christian and a part of the church. If all it means to be a Christian is to get a ticket to the gold plated afterlife than there is no need to grow in our understanding of following Christ. Also, if conversion is just a sentence or two that we pray, and not a process, than why would you need to involve yourself in a 6 month period of community learning to accept Jesus Christ and his radical view for your life?

So, anyways, because I have been emersed in this thinking; and because I have been thinking about the future of the emerging church; and because I have been becoming more and more convinced that catechism should not be just for junior highers, but for all ages; I am going to make a suggestion to myself and other emergent folk, that catechism should be embraced as the norm for inviting new members into our churches in this postmodern age.

I don't have time right now to further my reasons, but I will post a series of posts to lay my thinking out. This might be hard to accept for evangelical thinkers, for catechism as the vehicle for all church membership has only gotten lip service, and in reality, has been ignored in many places. So...tell me your initial thoughts...and I will return.

7 comments:

Paul Fromont said...

Ben, good point. Take my comments about welcoming strangers a little further...and questions like, "what does it mean to be a Christian" and "how do Paul's imperatives to "do", to "be", to bear with one another, to censure persons within the Christian community with regards their sexual practice (cf. 1 Corintians)" apply...is becoming a Christian a licence to continue forms and ways of behaving that dishonor God's intent that the gospel is embodied etc...all this to say, why then do we need to catechise...? Surely we anticipate that catechising will in same way modify behaviour; and if we anticipate modification how do we know that that looks like...it raises all kinds of questions for me about levels of membership...

Sorry for rambling. Thanks for your comment on my site.

http://prodigal.typepad.com

Unknown said...

Paul, I can't get past your statement that "catechising in the same way will modify behavior". I guess I don't see that as the role of catechism. Rather, in the shadow of the ancient church, I see catechism as an invitation to the family of God. Catechism should not be done in a judgemental way, rather, it is a responsible invitation to learn more of the love of Christ and his world redeeming plan. Of course, catechism is an invitation to membership. Membership is different from attendance. Membership does and should hold more requirements than attendance. However, we as a community of faith should be open and accepting to all for attendance and for membership. I agree btw with your stance on the exclusivity of the church in our world today, and I believe it is something that needs changed. I read a great book on how to be a truly hospitable christian community by following the pattern of St. Patrick and what he did in Ireland. It is the "Celtic Way of Evangelism", written by Hunter.
Now I am rambling...see what you started... :)

John said...

Ben, which catechism are you using?

Unknown said...

Jan, good point. Membership in the "modern" church hasn't been built on the things it should be built on. However, there is such a thing as a biblical outline for membership. Instead of being built on certain distinctive doctrines, practices, or beliefs, it is built on "all who confess with their mouth and believe with their heart, that Jesus is Lord". The ancient church took seriously these criteria. They didn't treat those that hadn't in a judgmental and seperatist way, rather, they were truly hospitable communities that invited all in to see what it meant to be a Christian. All were welcome, and those that came to want to follow Jesus were invited into this loving community as a member through catechism. This is not an indoctrination, but an invitation, a place to openly seek and find answers to some of your questions, and to experience community life.
So, there is a need for membership. It must be built on biblical standards however. And members are never treated as better than anyone else, rather they are servants to all. It is a calling into servanthood.
This is very different from how we see the role of member. We see member and we want to define it by the "membership priviliges". "I get to vote, I get a say, I become a vital part of the community". Membership in the body of Christ does not guarantee us membership priviliges, but "responsibilities". Ok...I am rambling, so I will cut off short here. I think we are on the same page though, for you are right to question why we have membership in the sense that we do today in many churches.

Unknown said...

John,
Sorry I didn't answer your question. We are using a UMC catechism developed by William Willimon. I add my own stuff within it. Any suggestions to other good Catechisms?

Anonymous said...

You answered my question in the comments.

the UMC catechism. mmm we are UMC and I haven't heard of it.

Is is a good resource? can you blog an outline as you teach it. It would be good to read I think :)

blessings

Unknown said...

Lorna,
The catechism is written by William Willimon. I am not sure if it is an official UMC catechism. It is more of a confirmation than a catechesim I guess. I am a pastor of a Wesleyan church and we have no resources for catechism. I am just learning.
Thanks for the post. BTW, I have read your blog, and I enjoy it very much.