Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Age and Death.

I have been a lazy blogger the last few days. Ministering to a Parish creates busy times in life, but it is a good business. I have been able to be with a family during the death of one of their members. I know this sounds funny, but It is a pleasure for me to be there during those times. I know that death is painful. However, as a pastor, it is during those times that I might get a chance to show Christ's love most effectively. I grieve with them. I pray with them. I comfort them. It is a pleasure to be there.

It has gotten me thinking about the reality of death. The culture we live in does everything to escape this reality. We are a botox, extreme makeover, fountain of youth type of culture. We might not realize this because we are so immersed in our western mindset, but not all cultures treat aging and death the same way. For example, there are many African cultures that see aging as something to be desired. The oldest members of their society are those most envied and respected. Is this a big change from our culture? On the other hand, we do everything we can to make it look as if we are still in our twenties.

I am not sure where I am going with this, but I wonder where the gospel comes in to transform our cultural misconceptions.

5 comments:

john alan turner said...

Ben,
I don't have an answer, but I saw the last comment you left on Ben Witherington's blog. You might be interested in a new book by Dennis P. Hollinger. It's called HEAD, HEART & HANDS: Bringing Together Christian Thought, Passion and Action.

Monk-in-Training said...

Greetings Br. Ben.
Do you think that part of the problem here comes from a lack of balance in our lives? Of recognition of seasons, the eb and flow of life?
We are so commericalized, capitalized, sanitized, that we dare not have a visible flaw.

John said...

I've heard it said that societies in which there is widespread literacy and information distribution that there is also a decline in respect for elders.

After all, you don't have to ask the old man who knows everything when to sow and reap -- you can just look it up in a book.

Anonymous said...

I think there may be a cultural shift happening. I find today's young adults much more interested in being around older people and more respectful of their insights. Very different from my generation who thought we knew better.
Dean

Unknown said...

Hello All,
Thanks for your comments. I am sorry I haven't gotten a chance to get comments back. I am the type of blogger that likes to acknowledge comments, I have just been so busy lately.

JAT - Thanks for the book reference! I am a bibliophile so any books recommendations are welcome.

MIT - You are right brother...we are out of whack when it comes to understanding of life's seasons. We don't enjoy life's seasons. I want to be a person who is "content in all things", including old age.

John- I hadn't thought of that before. For all our education, we are still pretty ignorant of the wealth of knowledge a life of experience can give us. I remember sitting with an elderly couple in my last parish and hearing the stories and learning from them. What I learned in those conversations could never have been gleened from a thousand books.

Dean - I hope you are right. And I think you are. I notice in the youth of my church the desire to know the older adults personally. I wonder if this has something to do with the breakdown of the traditional family unit. (of course the definition of the traditional family unit is a fluid thing I know) When children grow up without multiple meaningful adult relationships, including grandparents, they are starved for that attention.
I dunno...just a thought.