Thursday, July 20, 2006

the sacrament of the now

The word "sacrament" is misunderstood sometimes I think. For those of us who grew up in protestant churches, sacrament is something Catholic. For others, it is a term to argue over, to quibble over what a sacrament is, and what it isn't. We call the Eucharist/Lord's table and baptism sacraments, but then there are other things that we argue about. For me it simply means "something through which man meets Jesus, and recieves grace". Wesley called care for the poor a sacrament for in caring for the poor he met Jesus. I think I remember Jesus saying something similar. I think that the eucharist is special, as is baptism. But I think there are signs of Jesus and his redemption in all of his creation. Maybe these few special sacraments point us to see a sacramental world. Maybe we are to be living a sacramental lives rather than just waiting for sunday mornings. Maybe sunday morning communion in the elements should structure the rest of my life.

I love blogs because I can just empty my head and it doesn't matter whether my thoughts are organized or not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts. I like them. And i'm really glad you're blogging again!

Peace.

Anonymous said...

Ditto....
Bro, don't forget to check out my blog at
www.myspace.com/amandamarieyarde