Friday, October 14, 2005

Ministering for Results

I read something on Will Willimon's blog that created a pin prick of thought that soon became a flood. As a pastor, much like many other pastors, I love to see results in the ministry I am placed within. Whether it be a new family attending, or a new small group starting, I am jazzed by growth and results. On the other hand, when someone leaves the church, or there is a lack of visual results I am ready to throw my hands up. What if I am ministering for the wrong things? Results.

I wonder if ministry in this culture has been affected by this culture. "The bigger the better", the "flashier the finer", etc. Every three months I have to fill out a report to my denomination's district telling about results. What if I wrote this time, "I am not in it for these results"? What would they say. What is discipleship is something that doesn't produce quick results, but results that last a lifetime?

These are some of my discombobulated (is that a word?) thoughts about ministry and results.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Ben, I've struggled with some of those same issues. Although most pastors and elders would say "it's not about the numbers," there's still the expectation of numerical growth, "success", etc. I wonder if we're not gauging the wrong things? How about gauging things like spiritual transformation, prayer, faith, love, etc.

gavin richardson said...

as a youthmin this is in your face. you have a congregation of managers who have varied ideas on what 'results' are.

i don't think growth is bad, it's a good marker of doing good things. but if that is our sole measure & we have to argue why we don't have numbers over telling stories of faith formation then we have real issues as a church.