Monday, September 19, 2005

The Sacrament of Care for the Sick

I have just recently started a CPE (clinical pastoral education) unit at the VA hospital in Asheville. It is basically a class that gives us the practical experience of clinical pastoral care, or care for people in the hospital or clinic. I have class on Wednesdays, and then on Mondays, for 6 hours, I am the chaplain for the hospital. I make my rounds, meeting new patients, following up with others, and get to pray and minister to the sick and dying.

For some, this might sound really hard. I do not deny that, for it is hard at times. It is hard to feel the pain of a family losing a loved one, or of a patient who is critically ill. However, even in the difficulty, it is truly a blessing.

In my church tradition we have basically two sacraments, baptism and the eucharist. I am not sure why only two. John Wesley himself (and I am a Wesleyan), said that the care for the needy was a sacrament, and that through connection with the poor we recieved grace. Jesus said, "whatever you do for the least of these you do for me". It is evident that we meet Jesus in the care for the poor. But what about the sick? Jesus said that we also meet him in care for the sick. In Matthew 25 Jesus tells us this.

If this is true. If just like meeting him in the elements of the eucharist, we also meet him in the care for the needy, than why do we as Christians neglect this sacrament? I think of Mother Teresa. I remember the familiar story of dignataries coming to see her in Calcutta, and immediatley she took them to the sick and poor. She said, "I wanted to bring you to Jesus".

Lord, help us care for the sick and the dying, for it is in caring for them that we meet you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your words sis. There are some patients that feel hopeless, and it is good to be used by God to give them some hope and care. HOwever, there are others who even in the midst of dying are full of hope. Interestingly enough, I might come into the room and be more hopeless than they are, but in my visiting with them, I have left encouraged. Funny how it works out sometimes.

Monk-in-Training said...

Ben,
You are such a blessing to those around you, and those of us fortunate enough to know you via the web. I can see Christ in you ministering to those who are hurting so much, may you continue to be a conduit of God's love and grace in difficult times to hurting people.

Unknown said...

Terry,
Thanks for your kind words brother. You are also a blessing. I have been praying for you and your family. Keep up the good blogging.