Monday, November 14, 2005

Sheep and the Goats

I have been preaching the lectionary lately. That is not normal for my faith tradition. Most pastors in my denomination don't even know what the lectionary is. I have come to love it.
The last three weeks the passages I have preached from are from Matthew 25. This weeks passage is the story of Jesus explaining what it will be like when he returns to this earth. The passage starts out with Jesus saying that he will seperate the sheep from the goats (the unfaithful from the faithful). I have heard and read this story many times. Although I have never preached on it specifically, I have heard it taught or preached from. It seems like each time I heard it preached from the emphasis of the speaker was placed wanting to be a "sheep" that was "in" rather than a "goat" that was out. I don't believe I've ever heard anyone follow the passage and Jesus' statement to see how Jesus differintiates between the sheep and the goats. Jesus actually tells those listening that he will be able to tell who are his followers because they fed the hungry, gave water to the thirsty, was hospitable to the stranger, clothed the naked, cared for the sick, and visited those in jail.
Is this a list of defining Christian characteristics according to the Christ himself? I know, I know, there are those of you out there that are getting nervous that I am saying that these things are what saves you...these acts of work. Well I am not, however, I am saying that Jesus seems to be saying here that he saves, but those that have truly been redeemed by him, will do these things. What does this say about me? What does this say about my faith community? What does this say about the church universal?
I don't want to be a goat, I want to be a good following sheep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben,
Sounds like a good sermon. If I may address my comments to the use of the lectionary, however:

Preaching the lectionary imposes a certain "discipline" upon the preacher that is very healthy I think. I also think that in the long run, it's better for the hearers that "topical" sermons. It's difficult to prooftext when preaching from the lectionary. You are forced to work with a specific text (or texts), rather than picking and choosing to support a topic. It forces you (especially if it is a text that you really didn't want to preach, or are having difficult "getting a sermon" out of it) to just sit and be with a text, and really hear it. Likewise, a sermon preached well from the lectionary makes the hearers sit and be with that text too. In the end, I think it is truer to the word to do it this way. Also, it helps to lessen the tendency to only preach certain parts of the Bible over and over again at the almost complete ignoring of others. That doesn't really happen when you follow the whole three year lectionary. I also like the idea of being on the same pasge on the same day with so much of the church universal. There is a certain union and communion right there.

Peace

Unknown said...

I agree A. Coming from a "non-lectionary" tradition, I have heard things such as, "The lectionary doesn't leave room for the Holy spirit", when I have found that the Holy Spirit has worked more through the planning of the lectionary than the "spontaneity" of the other. I have found great connection with the lectionary, and it is my chosen way to preach.